Saturday 22 January 2011

"You're not a real Christian."

For the record, the above phrase isn't a phrase I ever remember hearing directed to me. Which is nice. But it is a sentiment I see flying around the internet, other media, and sometimes real life, so It's some I'd like to discuss today. If that's okay.
(note that the rest of the following is directed at people who identify as Christian or religious, so the rest of you might feel left out. Sorry.)

"Christian" means "follower of Christ". It does not mean "member of a particular Church" or "literal follower of every sentence written in the Bible ever ever ever". Neither of the latter definitions are mutually exclusive with being a Christian, but they aren't prerequisites either. If you are following the message of Jesus Christ the way you interpret the message of Jesus Christ, you are a Christian. And no-one can tell you any different.

The fact is, you don't know what God wants. And I don't know what God wants. We're just trying to interpret what he wants to the best of our ability, and live our lives thusly. Chances are, you do not have telepathic powers that I do not, so it's a little far fetched to say that your interpretation of Jesus' word is superior to mine.

If I think you have a greater theological/scriptural understanding that I do, then I will ask you, or I will attend a congregation that you are leading. Until then, your beliefs remain your beliefs, and my beliefs remain my beliefs. And that's all fine and dandy. You are welcome to express your beliefs, in public if necessary, but you do not have the right to condemn me for mine.

The attitude of "I'm a better Christian than you" is perhaps most visible and most silly when it comes to disputes between different branches of the church, particularly Catholics and Protestants. Denominations fall out of the most trivial things, like "whether transubstantiation exists," or "whether services should be held in English or Latin". Such disputes aren't even worth running out of breath discussing, let alone segregating Northern Irish cities and inducing civil wars over. It's just all so absurd.

You have a common thing to celebrate. The glory of God and the love of Christ. What else matters? Really, though? What? Mmm? Nothing. Except who has to serve the tea afterwards- that's what I would start a new church over.

Another example is when organisations like NOM scream into the binary abyss that "GOD DOESN'T WANT GAY MARRIAGE!!!" Well, maybe you believe that. And maybe on judgement day or whenever, we'll all find out that you were right. But until then, your interpretation of such a diverse and disputed thing as Christianity is not enough to base laws and such on.

I don't want to limit this to just gay stuff, though. In a similar vein to NOM (in regard to what I'm talking about) are these peopleand these people, amongst others.

So, that's that for today. General conclusion- be humble and non-pretentious about your personal beliefs, and be nice to others regarding their personal beliefs. See you tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment