Sunday 30 January 2011

Manliness

Just a quick post to say that manliness is a stupid concept.

I mean, it was all very well when men had to protect their families from wolves and bears and the occasional rampant woolly mammoth. But nowadays, we're pretty safe from all of that kind of stuff. Any genuine danger to our family in our modern era is likely to be wielding a gun, in which case men aren't going to be in a much better position that women. Firearms have brought gender equality to all.

There are so many interpretations of manliness that are just so wrong. Like promiscuity.

I'm sick of the attitude that "if a woman sleeps around, she's a slut, if a man sleeps around, he's a playa". Especially when the player is spelt with an "a" at the end. That's never a good thing.
Either promiscuity is wrong, or it is not wrong. Pick one, and you may be surprised to know I don't actually care which one it is. Just stop holding double standards. Men even think it's acceptable to cheat on their partners, because "that's what men are supposed to do," or some fertiliser like that. This is more revolting than I can put into words, but luckily, I don't think I need to. Frankly, if men are supposed to break the hearts and trust of women, then I'll go and get a sex change, thank you very much.

There's also the issue of music and other art/media tastes. I happen to very much like the music of Lady Gaga, and I don't see that as anything to be ashamed of. It certainly wouldn't have any effect, negative or positive, on my ability to kill a sabre-tooth tiger with a piece of flint. The presupposition that any art can be "manly" or "non-manly" is completely ridiculous.

And because I'm a loud, unabashed gay guy, I was always going to bring a topic like this back to social attitudes towards homosexuality. I've heard all too often the notion that gay men aren't "real men". This is the kind of attitude that fuels hateful bigots in their hate and bigotry. Also, there's no logical basis for it whatsoever- where you happen to like to stick your penis doesn't change the fact you have one.

I say the following to anyone who ever sets boundaries for what is or is not "manly": if someone has a penis and testosterone, then ta-da, they are a man. End of. What they wear or listen to or how many people of which gender they sleep with has nawt to do with it.

So. Crude not-really-thought-through-rants FTW? Or FTL? Let me know. Or don't. Do what you want with your life.

Good luck for Monday tomorrow. It's never as bad as you expect...

No comments:

Post a Comment