Wednesday 19 October 2011

Ten Things I Love

I'm in a mood for appreciating the world. As such, here are ten of the things in the universe which I happen to love, and a short squealing of adoration about each thing. They are in no particular order and have no real theme, other than that I love them. So, yeah. Enjoy!

 1. Adele. As in, the singer.
Oh my God. I love this woman and her music so much. Her voice makes me happy, and her lyrics are so clever and gorgeous and beautiful, and the instrumentation for her songs is always perfect. She breaks my heart every time. I love her. I could literally listen to nothing but Adele for ever, if only there wasn't so much other awesome music in the world.

2. The English Language. As in, the thing I'm writing in now. 
Words and sentences excite me. Which is good, because I spend at least half my wakened life writing something or other. Sometimes, it just takes a new word or someone's inventive use of a phrase to make my day. Language is so beautiful and fantastic. It's probably the only reason I'd rather be a human than any other animal. Well, probably not. But it might be the biggest reason.

3. All of the books by Malorie Blackman.
Malorie Blackman (the woman who wrote the Noughts and Crosses saga, The Stuff of Nightmares, Pig-Heart Boy, and much else besides) will probably always retain her ceremonial status as "my favourite author", even though she stands in a bookcase now populated by John Green, Bill Bryson, Phillip Reeve, Emma Donaghue and about a hundred others. I thought back on it a while ago, and realised that she was essentially the one who first introduced me to the "adult world" (you know, the one with sex and racism in it) through her books. My perspective has been so influenced by her work, and I am very indebted by her. Also, her books are always heartbreaking, gripping, hilarious, moving and populated by intensely beloveable characters. The literary world is a far richer place with Ms Blackman in it.

4. Playing the flute. You know, that instrument with the holes in.
So yeah, I play the flute. I'm generally vaguely hesitant to admit such a thing, because I think the flute is generally seen as an instrument played only by stuck-up middle class types who are far more interested in creating correct music than beautiful music. But, who care. I get to make amazing sounds with my mouth because of that thing. I get to create my own renditions of songs I love even if they are far beyond my vocal range. It's one of the most fun things I do with my life. So yes. It definitely earns it's place in the ten.

5. Wearing images of sea creatures around my neck.I used to have a drum necklace, which was awesome, but sadly is no more. Now I have a seahorse and a dolphin necklace, which together make up for it. Yay. Also, seahorses are awesome.

6. Trees. LOLOLOL HIPPY.
Seriously though, I really like trees. They make me happy. Not too happy. Just a little bit happy. But trees are beautiful and make landscapes more awesome when they are present. I like the fact that there are trees in the world. Only when there are no trees will I ever lose hope.

7. The human urge to make things.
I think this urge is present in all of us, and it drives people to do the most amazing things ever. It motivates me, and it appears to motivate a hell of a lot of other people, too. Being creative is one of the most spiritual and wholesome things we can do with our lives, and it makes me happy that so many people are not just willing, but eager, to create new things in the world.

8. Studying A-level Philosophy. No, I'm serious. Stop laughing.
Actually, you're probably not laughing. I suspect I'm nerdy enough for such a love to be believable- predictable, even.
Studying philosophy lets me think in ways I would never have the opportunity to think otherwise. It draws my attention to moral and political and metaphysical issues which I would probably not have noticed otherwise. And the discussions you get in philosophy lessons (provided everyone is awake) are hilarious and engaging and brilliant. It makes my brain better. Therefore, I love it.

9. John and Hank Green, a.k.a. the Vlogbrothers.
Yes, I know I talk about them all the freaking time. But the Green Brothers are two of the most awesome people in the universe, and a lot of the posts I post on here (including this one) wouldn't exist if I hadn't been inspired by one or more of their videos. So I probably owe them all the sentences I use blathering about them. If you don't understand who I'm talking about, then a) ZOMG you have not been paying attention! and b) you can find their Youtube channel thisaway:  http://www.youtube.com/vlogbrothers

10. This.




Thus concludes a reasonable summary of why I still find the universe awesome.

Until next time, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment