Sunday 12 June 2011

Christianity and Me

I am a Christian.

Recently, it's become strangely difficult for me to utter that simple phrase. I've become increasingly aware, primarily though LGBT blogs, of the kind of thing "Christian" means to a lot of people. More and more, Christianity is associated with bigotry, oppression and right-wing lunacy. As such, I have shied away from labeling myself with the aforesaid term.
But this last week, thanks to the grace of the people working at the two churches I attend, my Christian best friends, and that of God Himself, I am reconciling myself with my Christian identity.

When someone says they are a Christian, all they are saying is that they follow Christ. And why would I have any qualms about declaring such a thing, when his teachings have done so much for me, and for those I love?

Christ's message is one of love. It is one of reconciliation. It is one that admits that all humans are sinners, and none can rightly enter the presence of God. It is, above all, the message the God loves all humans and is willing to make a way for us to be with him, despite the sin we are so saturated in.

It is not the religion of shame. It is the religion of freedom from shame. I know no place which provides such a wonderful opportunity for self-acceptance and self-forgiveness as the Church.

So when I tell you I'm a Christian, I am not saying I am better than you. I am not saying you should  change yourself to be more like me. I am saying that I follow one who loves the both of us equally and was/is willing to suffer to reach both me and you.

You don't have to believe me. In fact, I don't see it as very important whether you do or not. God is big enough to reach humans without needing the likes of me to file them into churches. But understand that my faith has taught me to love you for who you are, no less than I love myself. I don't do that perfectly, obviously. But when I fail to love you, it is because of human imperfection, not because of my religion.

Also understand that as I accept your right to be an atheist, or agnostic, or Muslim, or Sikh, or Wiccan, or anything else, I expect the same for me. I expect to be able to say what I believe without you turning into a giant squid of anger. Intellectual discussion and debate is fine; healthy, even. Blind condemnation is not.

I hope, hypothetical non-Christian person, that we understand each other better as a result of this ramble.

I won't say God bless.

But I will say, good luck. In everything you are doing post-bored-internet-surfing.  

1 comment:

  1. You've touched on an important issue here: Believers feeling confident to say 'I believe'. It has become a loaded answer because of the percieved understanding what b
    eing a Christian entails. Being loving to our neighbour (rather than 'be tolerant') - in discussion and actions - is an attitude we can all learn from.

    ReplyDelete