Friday 27 May 2011

Boris Johnson does have his moments...

Specifically, this moment.

Boris has decided to make Barack Obama pay the congestion charge for driving his limousine and convoy through London. The total charge is apparently £5.2 million, which seems insane- but then, he has a lot of cars, and ignored the charge for a long time.

I think it only seems fair; given that this visit has cost us millions in security. But let's be honest; the Americans probably won't pay it. They are just as paranoid about spending too much as the UK government is at the moment. 

Plus, only Boris is willing to hold him to the charge. Given the pro-Obama and pro-America hype that has spread through Britain during the visit, I'm sure most people are willing to think "what's £5.2 million amongst friends?" 

This opens me up to say a quick word on the "special relationship" in general. Admittedly, I feel very ignorant about the whole thing, since the economic implications are, as with all economics, beyond my understanding.
However, I hate that Britain is going along with what can be described as America's imperialist attitude towards, well, everywhere. I don't think the US and UK should act as the police force of the world; even if we were using that position with the best intentions.
It's my view that America currently has plans to grab as much of North Africa and the Middle East as possible, to keep it in oil for as long as possible. Britain's role in this seems to be provide troops and satiate diplomats whenever we are called upon to by Washington. 

I think there are better ways to conduct foreign policy in Britain than place so much emphasis on the relationship with the US. I think we would be better off being more co-operative in Europe; as one of a group of equals, rather than the effective bitch of a much larger, more powerful country.


My two cents worth at the moment; anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment