Wednesday 30 March 2011

Renouncing Romance. Sort Of.

So today I drummed it into my head that I'm probably not going to have a romantic relationship for at least three years or something.
For one thing, I'm unlikely to find anyone in the near future with whom a state of mutual attraction will be established. With one-and-half exceptions, and one more doubtful exception, any guy I've ever remotely fallen for has been straight. And I don't see this changing any time soon.
For another thing, I'm completely incompetent at this thing we call romance. The few who have ever been able to see in me in a romantic light have been put off pretty quickly. My head just isn't anywhere near the ballpark of dating and such.

~AN IMPORTANT SIDE-NOTE~
This is NOT the point you go "aww" and feel sorry for me.
Anyone feeling sorry for me right now will be slapped in the face. Twice. With a brick. Because you are completely missing the point of everything.

I have decided that romance doesn't matter. Or, it only matters when it is actually present in your life, making pining for it or chasing it a worthless endeavour.

I have a new theory regarding relationships.  

It is not the types of relationship in your life that matters; it's the people.
Everyone you ever meet has the power to change the life for the better. Everyone can give you lessons to learn, and new experiences to taste. And since every human being is at least slightly different, the inspiration and teachings they can give you are at least slightly different as well. And, most relevantly, the way in which they will teach and/or inspire you is different.

Humans don't just establish relationships with people. When all goes well, we establish the specific type of relationship that will allow the other person to help us the most. Sometimes it's a friendship, sometimes a surrogate-family affair, sometimes it's a mentor/student collaboration, and sometimes it's romance. 

Therefore romance, as with any other type of relationship, has no objective value. It is a means to an end. It's a bit like a pen- if you give a pen to an average five-year-old child, it's going to have a lot less value than if you give it to Shakespeare. In the same way, if you establish a romantic relationship with someone who had done more good as a friend or as a source-of-inspiration-from-afar, then none of the wonderful things you've heard about romance will happen. But if you build one with someone who can help you most via romance, then awesomeness will ensue.

Of course, it's not always possible to tell how someone can help you most. The only real-life advice I can give, I'm afraid, is follow your instincts wherever possible, and don't try to convince yourself into feeling anything.

So, to clarify the title, I'm not actually renouncing romance- I'm renouncing my obsession with romance. I've spent too much time wanting a boyfriend, when I'm probably just as well off without one.

THE END! 

No comments:

Post a Comment